My mom always made an advent chain with activities every Christmas. It is one of my favorite Christmas memories. My sister and I looked forward to doing something new together every day. Now that Buddy is two, I think he’s finally ready for his own Christmas activity advent chain.
To start, I brainstormed a list of possible activities. I looked at my local park district and library websites for special events to do. Then, I found a bunch of easy activities on Pinterest. I also included some activities I remembered doing from my childhood.
Once I had my list, I made a calendar for what we’re doing each day. My mom said sometimes she had to switch links between days, and I’m sure I will have to do that too. I filled in the special events we will go to, and then I filled in the rest of the activities. There are several different categories of types of activities, and I tried to spread them out evenly.
I’m including all of my ideas below, even ones that I won’t use this year.
- Make a gingerbread house
- Construction paper snowman
- Use Christmas stickers to make a Christmas scene
- Christmas coloring pictures
- Make a paper plate wreath
Doing Things for Others
- Make ornaments to give to family
- Buy a toy for an angel tree or Toys for Tots
- Draw holiday cards for family
- Donate coins to Salvation Army
- Choose toys to give away
- Eat a candy cane and read a book
- Drink hot cocoa
- Coca colas in glass bottles (a favorite as a child, but Buddy’s not ready for that yet)
- Make toast with green and red sprinkles
- Decorate Christmas cookies
- Make chocolate dipped pretzels
- Learn Jingle Bells and sing for others
- Christmas dance party
- Go to the library to check out Christmas books
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights
- Play with “snowballs” (cotton balls)
- Find a hidden surprise (this year it is a new ornament for our tree)
- Make a tree with Play doh and decorate with sequins or pop beads.
- Visit Santa
- Set up the Nativity
- Watch a Christmas movie
- Read a Christmas story
I’d love more ideas to do this year, and to save for future years. If you have any great ideas, please share in the comments.